Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rhyme/Reason

a fam tweeted that his literature lecturer refused him from presenting a poem by Tupac Shakur, as poetry study piece, (over insufficient poetic merit? unrecognized and unfamiliarity of the writer? or pre-conceived perception of the writer? beats me which angle of ignorance the lit-guru came from exactly).
but he's studying in a renown local university. i'll reserve further comments. but i digress. eg - this below is as much a poem as any by Emily Dickinson(extreme comparison i know)/ encapsulates as much honesty, metaphor, meaning and value as say...a piece by Edgar Poe or even Oscar Wilde. no? to me at least.

DROP THE WORLD

I got ice in my veins,
blood in my eyes,

Hate in my heart, love in my mind.
I've seen nights full of pain,
days of the same,

You keep the sunshine, save me the rain.

I search but never find,
hurt but never cry,

I work and forever try, but I’m cursed, so never mind.
And it’s worse, but better times seem further and beyond..

The top gets higher the more that I climb,
The spot gets smaller, and I get bigger,
Tryna get into where I fit in, no room for a n*gga
But soon for a n*gga it be on,
‘Cause all the bullshit, it made me strong.

And I could die now, Rebirth,
Hop up in my spaceship and leave Earth...I’m gone

I know what they don’t wanna tell you,
Just hope you’re heaven-sent, and you’re hell-proof
I walk up in the world and cut the lights off,
And confidence is the stain they can’t wipe off,
my word is my pride
But wisdom is bleak, and that’s a word from the wise,
Served to survive, murdered and bribed,
And when it got too heavy I put my burdens aside.

And I could die now, Rebirth,
Hop up in my spaceship and leave Earth...I’m gone


-
Dwayne Michael Carter Jr.
(from the piece 'Drop The World' feat Marshall Bruce Mathers III)


No comments:

Post a Comment